Benefits of Country Living

While I pondered what to write, it occurred to me that we have enjoyed a whole year free of people ringing our doorbell on Saturday morning to collect either bottles or souls.  We didn't mind sharing the bottles although we seemed to find ways to do that without being prompted by someone at the door.  I'm not worried about my soul, so those interruptions were a bit of a nuisance and I don't miss them.  After all that deep pondering, I came to the conclusion that the country offers a host of benefits that most people don't even think of.  Saturday morning peace is just one.

Then there are the other usual country benefits that one would hope to encounter; like the animal sightings.  We spotted a trail of goslings crossing the driveway multiple times this week.  But those little critters can scurry much faster than I could retrieve the iphone from my purse to capture a photo.  Greg has promised to try and get their picture this week.  He needs to be quick about it because they are nearly doubling their size every seven days and pretty soon they'll just look like Canada Geese instead of cute little yellow fluffy things.

This was a good week for spotting larger mammals.  A well-fed coyote loped across the lowlands on Thursday as the sun was rising.  The geese were on high alert, watching the coyote trot so close to their nests.  Friday morning, I emerged from the shower to see two whitetail does by the swake with the sun rising over the trees.  They humoured me by hanging about long enough for me to get the camera.  Greg and Kanti encountered a moose on one of their evening forays into the woods.  Greg announced that Kanti chased the moose.  However, one wonders whether Kanti chased the moose and Greg chased Kanti.  Reality is that Kanti is smart enough not to chase the moose.

Last week after posting the blog, we drove to Rocky Mountain House to pick up grass seed from Seaborn Seeds.  The lowlands have been tilled twice in preparation for seeding, and Greg has just headed out to pick up a large roller that will be used to flatten the ground a little more.  The seed is a custom mix of native Alberta grasses that grow a max of 8-10 inches tall and are very hardy.  No watering or mowing required, plus the benefit of pretty seed heads blowing in the wind.  At least that's my vision.  Here's the 'before' picture.

I briefly contemplated planting rows of potatoes in the lowlands, but Greg put an end to that swiftly with a little reality check.  So instead I decided to contribute as a guest blogger on The Little Potato Company periodically.  It's way easier to write about potatoes than to plant them!

Today I'd say the best part of this country living thing, is that wonderful fresh smell when I stuck my head out the door this morning.  It renews your spirit when you can smell springtime at the same time you watch things green up, and hear the robins and all the other members of the swake choir.


Comments