Awesomeness

It is hard to write when there are so many ideas in my head that they are jumping over each other in my brain and fighting for attention.  Imagine a playground with a pack of five year olds running, rolling, dog-piling, and wrestling.  Sorting out which limbs belong to which child is difficult when the pack moves as a roiling mass.  That's a little picture of what it is like right now in my head.  I want to tell you about the awesomeness of the week even though I keep getting stuck on the fact that awesomeness isn't a word.  But, it is the best descriptor and by the end of this messy blog I hope you understand why I am willing to take liberties with the language.

My Awesome List

Here is the list of all the wonderful crazy bits that have contributed to an awesome week:

  • Daughter #1 turned 30 years old this week, and dagnamit she turned out fabulous despite her mother which is one of the reasons I believe there is a God.
  • Monday evening was spent babysitting JMH while his ma and pa went out for supper.
  • We had a fabulous experience at Tzin & Tapas for the second time in a week.  That's another story.
  • A friend launched her own blog, Crow Day One in part because I inspired her. 
  • The deer parade has resumed across the swake twice every day.
  • Kanti's paw seems to have expelled the stray porcupine quill successfully.
  • I watched Maya Angelou, one of my heroes, on Oprah's show Super Soul Sunday and was totally inspired.
  • Maya describes herself as a renaissance woman, just like me on my Twitter account.  Who knew?
  • The days are getting longer, and soon it will be gardening season again.

Counter-balance

Then there was the other stuff:

  • The growth the doctor removed from my hand and the stitches that pulled out in the middle of the night.
  • A trip to the dentist that turned into a trip to two root canals.  Oh Monday will be fabulous...
  • The altercation that I witnessed on the side of the freeway.  I pulled over and put on my four-ways to call it in to the police.  Thankfully that was enough to bring it to a halt, as I wouldn't have been able to separate the two men who were going at it. 
  • All the predictable craziness that accompanies complex people in stressful situations.

So What?

Last night while we were on a very exciting middle-aged Friday night adventure, Greg dropped the word awesomeness into the conversation.  I gave up a long time ago correcting his English usage.  Efforts along that line never ended in marital harmony and I always understood what he meant even if the word wasn't quite right.  Back to the adventure that took us to town for a supply of bones for Kanti, and to the mailbox.  

We picked up the bones and headed back to the countryside.  Our next stop was the mailbox that is about three kilometres from the house.   Dusk was falling and I was beginning to feel the weariness, which comes with Friday night which meant I was getting quieter and quieter.  Greg asked me a question and I didn't respond as quickly as he expected, so the next question from my husband was "Are you just in awe of my awesomeness?"  

Finally a tired giggle escaped.  Yes I was absolutely in awe of your awesomeness.  And I am in awe of the awesomeness of the world around me even when it doesn't go according to plan.  I love the word awesomeness because it makes me laugh and it makes me think.  I love words and that's one reason I write.  The words I choose are as important as the crazy threads of bouncing thoughts that I try to weave together for you.  As Maya Angelou said

 “Words are things, I’m convinced.  You must be careful about the words you use, or the words you allow to be used in your house. In the Old Testament we’re told in Genesis that, “In the beginning was the word, and the word was God, and the word was with God.” That’s in Genesis. Words are things. You must be careful, careful about calling people out of their names, using racial perjoratives and sexual perjoratives and all that ignorance. Don’t do that. Some day we’ll be able to measure the power of words. I think they are things. They get on the walls. They get in your wallpaper. They get in your rugs, in your upholstery, and your clothes, and finally in to you."

Invite the word awesomeness into your vocabulary today.  Don't be afraid, let it into yourself and speak boldly of the everyday and the mundane that makes up your awesomeness.  Tell me about your awesomeness -  

Comments