What's your porcupine ending?

At 12:32 a.m. on June 18 we awoke from a deep sleep to grunting noises.  Welcome to life in the country.  Critters grunt and humans wake up startled.   You know how it is in the dark.  Weird noises are amplified, and fear becomes the incredible hulk, exponentially growing with each breath we take.  When my curiosity overcame my fear, I asked Greg, "What's that?"

He was already out of bed peering through the window screen trying to determine the identity and proximity of the grunter.  He was calm.  I was not.  My heart was beating as fast as my imagination was conjuring up images of the creature outside the window.  In the dark, in my mind the critter was huge and there was a calamity at hand.  Oh don't you just love what our minds do in the dark when fear gets a foothold?

While I grappled with fear and an over-active imagination, Greg put on his glasses for a better look.  Just outside the window, engaged in a conversation with the rest of the universe or possibly another one of the same species, was a porcupine.  Now I know one of the sounds a porcupine makes I am not likely to forget it.  Neither will it fuel fear to the same degree if I hear the sound again in the middle of the night.
Porcupine in the willows 2014
Here's where I usually flip things around and reflect on the anecdote for you.  But I think it would be fun to leave the ending for you to write.  What ending would you write for this blog?  Two or three sentences, that's all you need to contribute.

Thanks for reading, sharing, liking, and commenting!  Feel free to share with your friends if you have been encouraged or inspired.

Comments

  1. This is curious, I was just telling Eleanor that one of our cousins in Neerlandia heard a porcupine in the night and.... shot it! How terrible!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment